First Listen: Applause by Lady GagaPosted: August 13, 2013
So, as probably one of the larger Little Monsters out there I’m really looking forward to Lady Gaga’s new album, Artpop, which is due for release in a few months time, there have been leaked, low quality versions of the first single from the album, “Applause”. I’ve avoided them but with a proper authorized version available I checked it out today, here are my thoughts:
- Like the techno-esque opening, reminds me of old computer games music.
- “I live for the applause”- I’ve seen someone complaining about Gaga singing about fame so much, but I mean, she’s one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, she can’t really sing about the day-to-day life things. And also, she’s a popstar who benefits from the glitz and glamour, as with Russell Brand her persona only works with fame. Without fame it’d just look mental. Personally I like it.
- Good, toe tapping beat that had me busting a little bit of a move on the sofa.
- I like the tempo change for the chorus which gives it a sort of uplifting David Guetta-style quality (Yes, I like David Guetta’s stuff, okay? It’s feel good pop)
- It’s pretty much what you expect from Gaga- cool, slickly produced pop music which is distinctively Gaga.
- It doesn’t blow me away on the first listen in the way that “Bad Romance” or “Poker Face” did, but it took me a while to come around to “Alejandro” and to fall for “Government Hooker” which is now one of my personal favourites.
So on balance I quite like it. It’s not my favourite of her work, but it bodes well for the upcoming album.
Here’s the song, annoyingly with little adverts for the hosting site:
Any thoughts? You know what to do. BETEO.