Sheldon CooperPosted: May 9, 2013 | |
I quite like the show The Big Bang Theory, I like the geeky jokes and it has some fun cameos in it (Wil Wheaton, Stan Lee, Leonard Nimoy, Katee Sackhoff) and I quite like a few characters.
I say “like” because while I enjoy it, I do have a few problems with the show. I kinda went off the central relationship when Penny started whinging about Leonard as her boyfriend, especially as he didn’t do anything wrong, and I was kinda rooting for him to ditch her and hook up with Alex, the girl who fancied him.
There are other flaws too, such as the fact that they wasted the gorgeous Sara Rue who was only around for a couple of episodes before her character vanished.
My major the problem is the main character of Sheldon Cooper played by Jim Parsons.
The character is this obsessive compulsive scientist who doesn’t know how to relate to other people. That’s the sympathetic way of describing him.
I think he’s a dick.
He’s selfish, manipulative, demanding and smug as all hell.
To be fair, Parsons does a good job playing the character and has genuine comic skill and timing.
But I loathe the character, and what’s worse is the response to the character. There’s a lot of fan love for the irritating little sod and it drives me nuts. Personally, I think he deserves a slap or at least a bit of comeuppance, here’s a few reasons why:
- He’s constantly nasty to engineer Howard for not having a PHD
- Not only did he give Leonard spoilers regarding the Harry Potter books but he then gives a spoiler about an episode of The Walking Dead that I haven’t seen yet. The jerk.
- He’s horribly selfish and insensitive in his treatment of his girlfriend Amy (who I find really sweet)
- His constant nagging and finecky ways grate and he always seems to get his way among his friends
- In one episode he blackmails and almost ruins his supposed friend Leonard’s relationship with his girlfriend merely because Leonard’s lawyer girlfriend has used the Roommate Agreement to Leonard’s advantage (this was the point that I turned on the character)
- His insulting and condescension to other scientists in the show
- The fact he’s pretty sexist, as evidenced in his arguments with Leslie Winkle.
While it might work for the odd gag as the series continues it becomes increasingly annoying. There’s no character development and it’s souring my whole outlook on the show, personally I’d like it if the rest of the group turned on him and he was forced to make some changes. Or at least if Amy dumped him and got with somebody new.
Or a few more episodes where he loses out. These are fast becoming my favourite moments in the show, where one of the characters gets one over on him.
Now, as I mentioned, a lot of people are Sheldon fans, and to respond to the arguments they’d probably trot out- Sheldon does not have some form of condition which excuses his behaviour. As he constantly points out “I’m not crazy, my mother had me tested”. Now. what do you think he means when he says “tested”?
And now, arse-covering time- I’m not saying that things like Asperger’s or Autism or whatever else people reckon Sheldon has mean that someone is “crazy”. But don’t you think that Sheldon’s mother, who is shown to be politically incorrect and rather old fashioned might refer to these conditions in that way? Clearly, Sheldon was tested for these or similar and was found to not have them. Ergo, he is just a dick.
So, here’s hoping that Sheldon changes soon or they at least have him come off the worse more often, as I can’t stand the guy. Ideally I’d like the whole show to finish with the rest of the gang bumping off Sheldon like in Murder on the Orient Express and then getting away with it.
Any thoughts? You know what to do. BETEO.