It’s the final day of the year and from tomorrow it’ll be 2013, and we’ll have teenagers who have been born in the 21st century, a fact which makes me feel incredibly old.
Tomorrow I’ll spend a lot of time looking ahead to the New Year and making resolutions that I’ll probably not follow in the next 12 months. But for now let’s look back at the year that’s ending.
2012 has been a mixed bag of a year, and while I can pull a fair few positive things from it, I’ll kick off with the bad stuff, thus giving this post a happy ending.
- On a global scale 2012 has seen some textbook examples of the scum and villainy that the human race can produce- school shootings, violent crimes, war, oppression, Jimmy Saville. But sadly I don’t think this is likely to change in 2013 or the foreseeable future
- I got drunk and acted like an idiot, prompting a 5 month stint of abstinence.
- Work- My job isn’t the worst in the world, and at times it’s actually okay, but there were some stints where it actively got me down and I got tired, fed up and stressed. This wasn’t a lot of fun, and it meant that I was pretty bummed out, and as someone who’s usually able to compartmentalize quite well it really got to me that work was encroaching on the rest of my life. Luckily, I seem to have gotten myself out of this funk and am fairly sure that 2013 will see a change in this department.
- I realized I’m getting old.
- I had zero luck in terms of dating.
- One of the worst things was that 2012 turned out to be quite a rough time for some folks I really care about, and while I tried to be there for them it’s always rough seeing people you care about going through stuff that you can’t really fix for them.
I also broke most of my resolutions- I didn’t do much writing, didn’t cross any new countries off my list and didn’t socialize much as I could/should have with my friends, with long gaps going between seeing them, which sucked and is something I really must work harder on in 2013 and avoid my natural instinct to just loaf around the house by myself.
- Sport again served to show the way to happiness, despite the best efforts of John Terry and Joey Barton. First of all Wales won a Grand Slam, now for the other 5 nations this probably wasn’t so much fun, but it’s my blog so for me it was a big positive. Then there were the Olympic and Paralympic games, which were filled with awesome moments, heroes and heartwarming stories. Seriously, I get a little choked up every time they show one of those recaps of the games.
- I am decidedly healthier. I’ve lost about 2 stone and my running got better, a gluttonous Christmas may have impacted on this a little and Lazy Chris did have a few moments where he seized the reins but for most of the year I was fairly good and I feel a lot better about myself and a little bit more confident.
- I did the 3 mile Sport Relief run and felt really good about this, and it gave me a chance to do a little bit of humble bragging for a bit.
- I may not have visited any new countries but I did return to Ireland and Scotland where I had two great mini-breaks.
- I got to see Lady Gaga in concert, and she was wonderful.
- There may have been unsociable stretches but thanks to the Edinburgh trip and a few recent meet ups, I’m feeling more connected with my friends and had a great time with them.
- I took some steps to sort my life out and make some changes.
- My family continued to be awesome
- On a lighter note, it was also a brilliant year for movies and TV.
Any thoughts? You know what to do. BETEO.